Saturday, February 19, 2005

Chicho is back....Michael goes home....mediocrity on display

I am back on the dance floor. Almost 2 weeks with hardly a dance. Yesterday was all go, 3 classes and a milonga. Chicho Frúmboli is back in town. So he is, with his partner Eugenia Parrilla holding 4 classes a week. They started last Tuesday and will continue till March 15. I plan on taking as many as I can get to which should be most. I only took the intermediate classes when they were here last year. This year there is no holding back. I have a partner to take the advanced class with which makes it much more productive. So yesterday I attended 2 classes the first featured planeos and enrosques the second ganchos, straight from there to Pablo and Dana's class, then after a short break and a shower off to Niño Bien.
Michael was having a goodbye party as he is flying home today. He has enjoyed his 6 weeks here and plans to return. Dimitri was there as well he had a great surprise for me when he put his hand in his bag and pulled out nearly 1/2 a kilo of chocolate oh the simple pleasures in life.
Niño Bien was packed. The 7th Tango festival of Buenos Aires starts on the 25 of Feb and runs till the 6th March A week later CITA the 7th Congresso Internacional de Tango Argentino 2005 begins March 12-20. These bring in a big influx of tourists. The dance floors can become a dangerous place. It seems to me and I could be wrong but almost everywhere other than BsAs there is loads of space to execute what ever step one knows in whatever direction one feels at what ever speed one likes. Not everybody who visits BsAs like to put their mediocrity on display, those that do clearly don't have a notion and while it is dangerous on the floor it can be entertaining sitting on the sidelines.